Monday, November 7, 2011

A Day of Celebration

Yesterday was one of those days that I thought to myself, "I am so thankful to be a part of the work God is doing through South Bay Church." It was an amazing day with over 850 people in attendance and 33 baptisms! No matter what word pictures I tried to write in this post, nothing would be able to recreate the excitement, energy, and sense of God's presence that was there yesterday. 

Andy gave a challenge for anyone who had made a decision to follow Jesus but had not yet been baptized to take that step of obedience at the end of each service. Some people had come prepared to be baptized that day. Many decided on the spot. Some pumped their fists with excitement. Some climbed in that baptismal pool with a tear-streaked face. But no matter what, each person's baptism was celebrated with cheering, clapping, whistling, and such joyful laughter that it would cause unsuspecting tears to spring in your eyes.

In keeping with the theme of celebration, we had a trash-can drumline join the worship band on stage during one of the songs. They were incredible!


At the end of Andy's message, we watched the powerful video of Tien's story. Tien is a 17 year old who has been attending South Bay for 6 or 7 months now. I'll let her tell her own story...


I've watched that video at least 4 times now, and the line that always puts a lump in my throat is when she says that she's sad that her decision to follow Jesus has caused some division in her family but she says, "I know that I still love them, and I know that God is doing something new in me." Yes He is, Tien! The old has gone and the NEW has come. You are a beautiful new creation and I am so excited to see all that God continues to do in your life as you grow in Him!


No comments: