Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Scripture Memory for Money

This week I've been sharing a few ways that our boys can earn money. They are currently saving to buy a  season pass to Great America so we are trying to give them opportunities to earn some sweet MOO-LAH around here. So, in addition to selling their candy and doing their chores, they can also memorize Bible verses for cash. Each verse is worth one dime. If they memorize the reference, they get an extra dime.

You can use any Bible verses you want...BayKids always has a Bible verse they are trying to help the kids memorize. Sometimes we memorize verses based on certain character qualities or sin issues we're working on.




Also, my parents gave us a great book that has a Bible verse for each letter of the alphabet from the Old Testament and New Testament. The book comes with a CD that tells a little story for each verse and sings a song with each verse. It's nice to listen to in the car. Click here if you'd like to get a copy. (Wow, I just looked at the price. I had no idea how expensive it is. Makes me a little more appreciative of the gift!)




Sometimes we work on these at meal time or driving in the car. You could choose one or two verses to work on per week and practice quoting them throughout the day and at bedtime. We don't push this like crazy, but try to do it when the boys are feeling motivated and cooperative.

So what's the point of having our kids memorize all this Scripture? Is it brainwashing? Do they even understand it or are they just quoting it by rote? The reason Scripture memory is important to me is that the Bible says, "I have hidden Your word in my heart that I may not sin against You." Scripture memory for kids lays a solid foundation in their hearts and minds about who God is and the way that He says life works best. Even when they don't fully understand what they are memorizing, I believe that God is using it in their hearts to do things we can't see with our eyes.

Here are the ABC Bible verses from The Memory Bible by Stephen Elkins.

Old Testament Verses:

A- How AWESOME is the Lord Most High. Psalm 47:2
B- On my BED I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Psalm 63:6
C- God CREATED the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1
D- My mouth will DECLARE your praise. Psalm 51:15
E- Let EVERYTHING that has breath praise the Lord. Psalm 150:6
F- A FRIEND loves at all times. Proverbs 17:17
G- A GENTLE answer turns away wrath. Proverbs 15:1
H- Love the Lord your God with all your HEART and with all your should and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5
I- So God created man in his own IMAGE. Genesis 1:27
J- The JOY of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10
K- KEEP my commands and you will live. Proverbs 4:4
L- Your word is a LAMP to my feet and a LIGHT for my path. Psalm 119:105
M- "For MY thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways MY way," declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8
N- The NAME of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10
O- To OBEY is better than sacrifice. 1 Samuel 15:22
P- "For I know the PLANS I have for you," declares the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
Q- He will QUIET you with his love. Zephaniah 3:17
R- REMEMBER your Creator in the days of your youth. Ecclesiastes 12:1
S- The Lord is my SHEPHERD, I shall not be in want. Psalm 23:1
T- Give THANKS to the Lord, for he is good. Psalm 136:1
U- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own UNDERSTANDING. Proverbs 3:5
V- In the morning, O Lord, you hear my VOICE. Psalm 5:3
W- As for God, his WAY is perfect, the WORD of the Lord is flawless. 2 Samuel 22:31
X- Glorify the Lord with me; let us EXALT his name together. Psalm 34:3
Y- You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble. Psalm 32:7
Z- It is not good to have ZEAL without knowledge. Proverbs 19:2

New Testament Verses: 

a- And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him. Romans 8:28
b- How BEAUTIFUL are the feet of those who bring good news. Romans 10:15
c- Let the little CHILDREN come to me. Matthew 19:14
d- DO to others what you would have them DO to you. Matthew 7:12
e- EVERYONE who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13
f- FORGIVE as the Lord FORGAVE you. Colossians 3:13
g- GIVE, and it will be GIVEN to you. Luke 6:38
h- The Lord is my HELPER; I will not be afraid. Hebrews 13:6
i- What is IMPOSSIBLE with men is possible with God. Luke 18:27
j- JESUS answered, "You must be born again." John 3:5-7
k- Always try to be KIND to each other and to everyone else. 1 Thessalonians 5:15
l- For God so LOVED the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
m- Be MERCIFUL, just as your Father is MERCIFUL. Luke 6:36
n- Love you NEIGHBOR as yourself. Matthew 19:19
o- Children, OBEY your parents in the Lord. Ephesians 6:1
p- Be PATIENT, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2
q- Everyone should be QUICK to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19
r- Show proper RESPECT to everyone. 1 Peter 2:17
s- SEEK first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you. Matthew 6:33
t- Whoever and be TRUSTED with very little can also be TRUSTED with much. Luke 16:10
u- Do not let any UNWHOLESOME talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up. Ephesians 4:29
v- I am the VINE; you are the branches...apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
w- WORSHIP the Lord you God and serve him only. Luke 4:8
x- If anything is EXCELLENT or praiseworthy- think about such things. Philippians 4:8
y- Don't let anyone look down on YOU because YOU are YOUNG, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12
z- ZACCHAEUS, come down immediately. Luke 19:5

1 comment:

Peter said...

My kids like to practice their memory verse on my smartphone. They love the puzzles, games and flashcards of the Remember Me bible memory app (Android/iPhone/iPad). See sites.google.com/site/rememberapp for more information.