Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Daniel Fast ideas

Today is Day 9 of our 21 Day Daniel Fast. The first time Andy & I did a Daniel Fast, we ate nothing but salad and soups. It felt like the eternal fast! We just didn't realize there were other options out there. This time I feel a lot more freedom because of all the ideas that I've gathered from other people. I wanted to pass a few a long to you in case you feel stuck in a rut!

Last night for dinner I made 100% whole wheat spaghetti with organic spaghetti sauce (make sure you read the label on the sauce to make sure there's no sugar or other "additives"). I added a fruit salad and it was pretty filling.

Cinnamon Raisin Ezekial Bread (in the frozen food section) is delicious for breakfast when you toast it and put some unsweetened applesauce on top.

Something pretty simple that I've done a couple times is to put avocado, black beans, and brown rice in a corn tortilla. You could also add some corn and a little homemade salsa.
If you have to eat out, a salad is always a good option, but most dressings have stuff in them that aren't on our menu. A simple solution is just to take your own dressing. You could make one using lime, cilantro, and honey or here is a simple Herb Vinaigrette:
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice, ½ tsp. dried basil, 1 tsp. oregano, ¼ tsp sea salt, ¼ cup parsley mixed with some Italian seasoning (that has no salt), 1 cup olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves. Mix well. This is light and fresh on any veggies.
I found some great snacks at Trader Joe's. They have lots of nuts, dried fruits, and trail mix options that are "Daniel Fast Friendly". Just watch out for added sweeteners. Also, there are some tortilla chips there made of soy and flaxseed (I know, it sounds gross). They are actually really good and go great with the Vegetarian Chili I posted about last week.

I haven't actually tried this recipe below yet, but my friend sent it to me and I thought it looked good.

Susan's Black Bean & Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers Recipe


Ingredients:
1 qt 100% Vegetable or Tomato Juice
2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 med green onions (chopped)
¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
2-3 large bell peppers (cut in half lengthwise and deseeded)

Combine all ingredients except juice and bell peppers in bowl and mix well. Place peppers in glass dish and stuff with mixture. Pour juice over peppers and plenty of excess in the dish. Cover and bake in oven on 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Enjoy!
 
And one last thing...let's remember that the real emphasis of this fast is prayer and seeking Christ. Let's pray expectantly for a spiritual awakening in our midst and a movement of God like we've never experienced!

No comments: