Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Work and Worship

We are on Day 17 of South Bay Church's 21 Day Prayer Challenge. I can't believe the Grand Opening of our church is only 4 days away! Everytime I think about that I have simultaneuos feeling of excitement, panic, and a touch of nausea...I'm sure any church planter's wife can completely understand. It is going to be incredible! Anyway, below are my reflections on John 17. If you'd like to view the full blog, click here.


I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. John 17:4

This verse tells us two things:
1- God gives us work to do while here on earth, and
2- We give God glory by completing it.

Have you ever been dissatisfied with your job, frustrated with the current circumstances in which you find yourself? A lot of times I have wished that my "work" would be something really noble...that mine would be a life of significance punctuated with exclamation points instead of question marks. I have this intense desire for my life to count for something far greater than who I am, to make a difference and thus bring God glory.
The fascinating truth this verse teaches, though, is that God receives glory when we simply complete the work he has given us!
But what if my "work" is cleaning up after a halfway-potty-trained-child? That's certainly not very noble. What if my "work" includes doing laundry, cooking meals, playing Lego's, and trips to Target? Sometimes it's so hard to see significance in the mundane tasks of day-to-day life. But that's my work, and it gives God glory when I complete it with my whole heart and a good attitude. It gives him glory when I work as if He is my authority and not some slave-driving boss.
Let's just be honest...a lot of what you do doesn't seem very noble either. Where's the significance in selling this product, or inputting data into this spreadsheet, or filling out this expense report? You find yourself working for a paycheck, not for a cause...and that can become unfulfilling really fast. Do you need a new job? Probably not. You need a new perspective!
God has given you work to do. It includes your occupation, but it is so much more than that. Part of the "work" ordained for you is that conversation you'll have today with your colleague, the ways you show love to your spouse, the time that you invest in your children, and, yes, the mundane, day-to-day tasks of life. Part of bringing glory to God is by doing the next thing...with a heart that recognizing the call to work comes from God.
So you can drive to work for the glory of God. You can send that email for the glory of God. You can fold those clothes for the glory of God! You can do the next thing, all for the glory of God...even if the next thing is cleaning up after your potty-training-impaired 2 year old!!!

1 comment:

Holly Furtick said...

DYING to hear how everything went yesterday!!!!