Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Matrimony

My dad celebrated a birthday yesterday, so this edition of Monday Matrimony is in honor of him! My dad officiated my wedding, which was so special. One of the things he said directly to me during his charge to us as a couple has stayed with me these past 8 years of marriage. That's what I want to share with you today.

So without further adieu, here's your weekly bit of [unsolicited] advice...

Tip of the Week: Bring out the lion in him. 

In our wedding ceremony, my dad shared a brief sketch of the story line from the movie The Lion King, specifically the part about Simba throwing off his responsibilities as king and just having a "Hakuna Matata" mentality. It wasn't until Nala found him and spoke truth into his life that Simba began to reengage with all that he was supposed to be.

Although I can't remember the exact words my dad used, in essence he said, "Stacie, there will be times when Andy will feel discouraged or overwhelmed or even useless and defeated. God has given you the role as his wife to speak courage into him. Bring out the lion in Andy."

I love the picture those words paint in my mind. We put courage in our husbands as we EN-COURAGE them.

Be his biggest cheerleader. Tell him all the wonderful things you see in him. Celebrate his ideas, dreams, and visions. Believe in him more than anyone else, even more than he believes in himself sometimes. There should never be any other person (especially any other woman) who believes in and encourages your husband more than you do!

Bring out the lion in your man!

No comments: