Thursday, June 14, 2012

How Do You Feel Today?


This post was originally posted on April 19, 2011. While on family vacation
I am reposting some of my favorite previous posts. 

Any other P90X fans out there? Andy and I did the whole 90-day program (very strictly) about a year and a half ago. I only missed a handful of workouts the entire 90 days and I got great results. Although we're not being nearly as strict about it now, we still use the DVDs to work out and I must say, I love Tony Horton (the trainer, for all you non-P90X fans). Wish he lived in NorCal because I would totally invite him to South Bay for Easter!

Anyway, Tony says a phrase on one of the DVDs that has become somewhat of a motto for me. He says, "How do you feel today? Do what you can." The point is that you're not going to feel 100% every single day. You're not always going to be in the mood to 'give it your all' when you work out, but you do what you can and you just "keep pushing play." On those days, you may not get the best work out of your life, but it's better than nothing and it's slow, steady progress in the right direction.

I feel like that is true about all aspects of life. There will be days that I don't feel like studying the Bible or spending time in prayer. But I'm committed to "keep pushing play" and trying to read/pray as much as I can.

There will be days that I don't feel like a very creative or energetic mom. But I just keep pushing play and do what I can.

Here's what I know about myself...even though I may not feel like 100% on a particular day (or week), I'm a pretty motivated person overall. It'll come back. I have to give myself the grace to just plod along making slow and steady progress on those days, knowing that I'll feel like sprinting on others.

So, if you feel like you've lost your rhythm today (or this week or this month), give yourself a little grace. Just keep pushing play. Do what you can. Don't give up on working out or time alone with God or investing in your kids or etc... just because your not feeling it today.

Do what you can, and trust in a God who is BIGGER than the whims of our hearts.