Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quiet Time. What's that?


This post was originally published on September 26, 2011. While on family 
vacation I am reposting some of my favorite previous posts. 

Yesterday was an amazing day at South Bay Church! 832 people, 87 first time guests (who turned in connection cards), 12 first time professions of faith. It was such a great day! We kicked off our 40 Days of Purpose Campaign with a new message series called, "What On Earth Am I Here For?" Over the next 40 days, we are challenging every person in our church to read Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life book and participate in a discussion group throughout the week. I know that God is going to use this season to do an incredible work in individual lives and our church as a whole.

I realize that asking people to find time to spend alone with God every single day for 40 days straight is tough. But the dividends far outweigh the sacrifice, so we just have to be creative and fight to get that time each day. Speaking of having to fight for time alone with God, I thought I'd share with you an excerpt from my journal last Tuesday. See if you can relate! :-)

I feel like I'm out of breath ever morning when I finally have a chance to sit down to read my Bible. Mornings are so busy when you have little ones. It's just now 9 AM and here's how my morning unfolded:

5:30     Alarm - snooze
5:40     Up,  put on work out clothes, notice lights just turned on in the living room but Andy & I are still in the bedroom. Put Sammy back in bed.
5:50     Begin "Insanity" workout
6:10     Sammy comes out again. Put him in pack-in-play with books
6:35     Finish workout. Put away clean laundry. Make bed. Andy showers.
6:45     Shower, get ready. Andy starts breakfast with boys.
7:30     Andy starts his quiet time. I make my breakfast. Distribute vitamins. Change diaper. Clear table.
8:00     Get boys dressed. Comb hair. Brush teeth.
8:15     Play Hungry, Hungry Hippo- 4 rounds
8:25     Get Caedmon's socks on. Finish doing his hair.
8:30     Sit in dark closet with the boys, lightsabers, blankets, and Darth Vader masks
8:35     Caedmon off to preschool with Dad
8:40     Empty dishwasher. Reload with breakfast dishes. Make cup of tea.
8:55     Set Sammy up for room time. Put away puzzle he pulled out in the playroom. Shake my head at the rest of the mess. Clean up a juice spill on the carpet.
9:00     Sit down with tea & Bible trying to still my heart enough to hear from God. The timer is set, though, because Sammy's room time won't last long. So I've gotta hear from God FAST!

How's that for "Be still and know that I am God"?!?! (insert panting & gasping for breath here)

My hat is off to all the moms out there whose mornings look exactly like mine, but then would need to write "Out the door for work". It is not easy, I know!

Prioritizing that time alone with God each day is tricky, but it is what keeps us grounded amidst all the craziness and frantic pace we often live our lives. I am so excited for all of you who are taking this 40 day journey with us...it is going to change our lives!

No comments: