Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Reading

My summer reading list is getting a little out of control. For some reason, I seem to have really high hopes that I'm going to come across a ton of free time this summer and will be able to devour a ridiculous amount of books. My high school English teacher would be proud that I still enforce "summer reading" upon myself. Thankfully, though, Jane Eyre is not on the list!



Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore
This is what I am doing for my Bible Study this summer. I've already completed week 1 and it is SO refreshing to me! Really enjoying it already.













And the Word Came With Power by Joanne Shelter
This is the story of how God worked through a couple missionaries in Philippines to to show His great power. I love true stories of courageous men & women who give their all for the KING and His Kingdom!










Seven by Jen Hatmaker
This is the story of one women's journey to eliminate excess in her life so that she could enjoy God more fully. My friend recently read this and was challenged to make some "crazy" adjustments to the way she lives. I can't wait to see what God challenges me to do.









For the Children's Sake by Susan Macaulay
This was a book recommended to me by our homeschooling curriculum. It explores the educational philosophy of Charlotte Mason and lays a framework for effective education through a biblical lens.














Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel
I've been listening to this audiobook and it has been so insightful. I great perspective on parenting and creating a healthy home environment. I feel like I would get even more out of it if I had the book in front of me, so I may order a hard copy as well.













Home Schooling 101 by Erica @ Confessions of a Homeschooler
I follow Erica's blog and have found her stuff tremendously helpful in setting up our home school. I've used a lot of her resources, so I was pretty excited when she recently released this book on how to get started. Goodness knows, I need some help in this area...I feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark most days.







Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
I'm reading this book because I really enjoy this author. I recently finished another one of his book about Mount Everest called Into Thin Air. Fascinating. This one is about the Mormon church, plural marriage, and fundamentalist off-shoots of the Mormon church. It's kinda a disturbing book, but it really makes you think about the nature of religion in society.













Come Be My Light by Mother Teresa
I've never read anything by Mother Teresa, but her life intrigues me. Every story I hear about her makes me want to know her better. So, I finally ordered this book to hopefully catch a glimpse inside her heart and mind.


 
Here's to a few plane trips, long car rides, and laying by bodies of water... Let the Summer Reading begin!

No comments: