Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Love Letter

I've got some good new today! Not new news, but good news nonetheless. And it's news that, for a lot of us, even though we may believe it's true, we don't live like it's real.

I've been reading in the Bible from the book of Romans this week, and yesterday I was stopped in my tracks as I read Romans 5:1-2. I kept trying to read on, but I just couldn't stop rereading those two verses and thinking about what GOOD NEWS that is for my life.

Reading Romans is comparative to eating a steak dinner. You have to eat it slowly, savoring every bite, chewing really well...or else your liable to choke and die. Ok, bit of an exaggeration, but it's definitely heavier than drinking a smoothie.

So, back to Romans 5.

Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. We have also obtained access through Him by faith into this grace in which we stand.

3 HUGE, life-changing benefits for those who've placed their faith in Christ:
  1. Declared righteous
  2. Peace with God
  3. Access to grace
I began thinking about each one of those gifts, and which one (if I had to choose) I was most thankful for. I still haven't come up with an answer to that.

If you have place your faith in Jesus and received His free gift of forgiveness, listen to what He says to you today. 

Dear Child,

(Declared Righteous)
You are clean! I choose to look at you through the perfection of Jesus. You are completely forgiven...of all the sins you used to revel in but now feel ashamed of, of all the sins that you still struggle with on a daily basis, of all the sins that have been committed against you...You don't have to walk around in shame. You do not have to be defined by your failures or the horrible things that have been done to you. I don't see you as tainted, used goods. You are as beautiful and perfect to me as the way you looked at your newborn baby being placed on your chest for the first time. 

(Peace with God) 
I'm not mad at you. I'm not sitting up here in heaven just waiting for you to make a mistake. Quite the contrary! I'm cheering you on! I'm proud of you. I'm glad you're Mine. I love you. I like you. I enjoy you. There is no one I'd rather spend time with than you. We're okay. Don't tiptoe in My presence staring at your shoes. Bust up through those gates with thanksgiving and praise and dancing so free that it makes me belly-laugh. Really, I promise, I delight in you.

(Access to Grace)
I've got ya covered. I know you're going to mess up. And, yeah, it disappoints me. Your sin was costly for all of Heaven. But, listen! It's been paid for! It's been forgiven! I've got whatever it is you need today. I paid too high of a price for this gift for you not to receive it, bask in it, and roll around in it 'til you can't get the smell off of you. I am for you. I'm like the parent who is teaching their baby to walk...hold on to my fingers and trust that I'm right there with you. When you fall (and you will!), I'm not going to yell at you for being some no-good-clumsy-never-get-anything-right-loser. Nope. I'll plop you back on your feet. Kiss those little knees. And pop you on the butt to encourage you to keep going. 

I love YOU,
Your Heavenly Father

You are clean! I'm not mad at you! I've got ya covered!
Today, let's not just believe that that's true, but live like it's real!!!

No comments: