Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Patience

This morning Caedmon and I went to the doctor so I could get some labwork done. We had to wait for about 20 or 30 minutes before it was our turn and Caedmon did a great job. He sat in his stroller and listened to me read him books or talked with the others in the waiting room. No screaming or pitching fits, for which I was extremely grateful.

But when we got home, Caedmon was taking FOREVER to get out of the car and walk to our apartment. He was climbing all over the back seat, trying to honk the horn, playing with the sand on the sidewalk, and on and on and on. I was getting really frustrated with him and was about to let him know that when God brought the mind how patiently he had just waited on me for 30 minutes at the doctor. He didn't scream at me saying, "Mommy, why don't you hurry up?! I can't wait here all day! I've got things to do!" So what makes me think I have the right to fuss at him? Just because I'm big and he's little. Just because I'm the mom and he's the child. Just because what I need to do is "important" and what he wants to do is not.

The fruit of the Spirit is PATIENCE...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post literally shouted at me. Thank you for reminding me how hard it is for a little one to be patient, and how crucial it is for us to recognize & priase that behavior!

Veronica Boulden said...

Love this post. Love how God teaches us through our kids.