Tuesday, September 7, 2010

2 Weeks Ago Today

Two weeks ago today, Sammy & I landed at the SFO airport and we began our life as a family of 4. While I have been absent here on the blogosphere, we are alive and well here in California and it has been quite a ride the past couple of weeks.


Firsts for Sammy over the past two weeks:
  • first time in an airplane
  • first time in a carseat
  • first time to meet his brother
  • first time to see his new house
  • first time to South Bay Church
  • first time to meet CC (my mom)
  • first time to be surrounded by so many white & Asian people
  • first time to Santana Row to have a burger at "The Counter". Mmmm.
  • first time to visit an American doctor
  • (probably) first time to the playground or to play in sand
  • (probably) first picnic...we had 2 this week
  • first time on a tricycle
  • first time to Daddy's office
  • first (of many) trips to Target & Walmart
  • first party to be held in his honor

Other huge changes include being immersed in a new language, transitioning from formula to milk, and trading in his bottles for sippy cups. The poor kid's been through A LOT, so we gotta give him a little slack if he needs to have a melt down every once in a while. He's handling it with much more grace than I'm sure I would!


My mom left today after being here for an 8 day visit. I told her I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading her leaving. She was so incredibly helpful to have as we are getting adjusted to being home. Just getting from the car to our apartment with a diaper bag, purse, groceries/supplies from Target, plus one child on the hip and the other looking a lady bugs in the grass has proven to be much trickier than I expected. I needed the extra hands this week that my mom provided!


One rude awakening Sammy will experience now that CC is gone is that he will be "enjoying" pack-n-play time while Mommy showers and gets ready in the morning. This experience is dreadful and consists of 45 minutes of screaming, after which Sammy requires a change of clothes. If he could talk, his screams would say, "GET OUT OF THE SHOWER! YOU'VE BEEN IN THERE FOR 3 MINUTES! GET OUT OF THE SHOWER ALREADY! HOLD ME! HOLD ME! I WANT TO GO BACK TO AFRICA!!!" So much for a warm, relaxing shower to get your day off on the right foot!


This is me getting out the door:
Is everyone dressed and (somewhat) clean? (me, Caedmon, Sammy)
Caedmon, go potty. Sammy, diaper change.
Shoes on? (me, Caedmon, Sammy)
Gather drinks and/or snacks for everyone.
Diaper bag. Sling. Purse. Keys. Phone. Sunglasses.


As I am thinking through this mental check list, I am being followed around by Sammy who has his arms raised and is screaming for me to pick him up. I told my mom, "I am losing brain cells by the minute!" I believe I have lost my keys at least once a day every single day since we've been home!



Sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Especially when it comes to sleep. Sammy started (kinda) sleeping through the night for several nights in a row. Then we had 3 nights with multiple bouts of screaming. Then, last night, he did much better again. It just takes time, I know...


In the midst of the chaos and lack of sleep and tears, we have experienced some priceless moments...the kind you hope you never forget. Watching Caedmon & Sammy run up and down the hallway to tackle Daddy and then burst into hysterical laughter. A beautiful day at the park complete with a picnic, Caedmon riding his bike, and pushing Sammy on the tricycle. Worshiping Jesus at South Bay with Sammy in my arms and his head resting on my shoulder. These are my "happily ever after" moments.


On the way home last night, Sammy sang a song that he had no doubt learned at the orphanage. He held his hands in the air, snapping his fingers and singing the whole way home. I so wish I knew that song. It was absolutely precious!

2 comments:

KLT said...

I remember bawling when my mother-in-law left for home after our first adoption. The demands on you (the lone "Mama") are so great. Praying for an extra measure of God's grace as you continue to love on your precious boys in the coming days and weeks! Blessings!!!!

Kathy said...

I love all of it! Thanks for sharing, Stacie!
Tons of blessings to you, Kathy