Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bye, Bye Training Wheels!

Yesterday I was having one of those In Parenthesis kind of days. My parenthetical clause began about 2:00 when Sammy decided he was not going to take a nap and ended shortly after 5:00 when I was about to lose my mind and ordered everyone to put on their shoes because we were going outside.

"But I don't waaaaaant to go outside."
"Too bad. Mommy's losing it. We're all going outside!"

And I am so happy we did because Caedmon absolutely made my day  week  month by finally figuring out how to ride his bike without training wheels! I tell you, it was like watching him take his first steps! I'm not sure who was more excited: me or him. Check this out...

No Training Wheels! from Stacie Wood on Vimeo.

(Please note, Caedmon is wearing his Spiderman costume which
is absolutely classic to really capture his stage of life right now!)

We took Caedmon's training wheels off several months ago and he has been practicing pretty regularly since then. It was tough at first. I remember him telling me once (quite emphatically), "I want my bike to always have training wheels! Even when I'm adult I'll have training wheels." *Smiles*

Since learning to ride a bike can be a tricky thing for a kiddo, we set up an incentive program where he can earn one sticker for practicing by himself (walking the bike), and another sticker for having me help him (while he pedals). Each sticker is worth a dime.

I recently read a parenting article that talks about the importance of praising children based on character rather than achievement.

For example, if you're child brings home straight A's, you should talk with them about all of their hard work and diligence in earning those grades rather than focusing on their intelligence. Making comments like, "You're so smart," or "You're such a great athlete," or "You're an awesome musician," can actually create insecurity in a child because those are things that they have no control over. You don't get to choose your level of intelligence, athleticism, or many other attributes. BUT, you do have the choice to develop your character. So, by focusing on the things that they do control (i.e. hard work, perseverance, good attitude, etc...) we as parents motivate them to put those qualities to work more often and in other areas of their lives.

Yesterday when Caedmon figured out how to ride his bike, you better believe that we lavished that child with praise! We took video footage; we called a few people; we even took him to In-N-Out to celebrate! But we made sure to focus on his character, not just on the achievement. Caedmon could not be more excited and is really proud of himself for sticking with it!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love the videos! This is a great moment you've captured. Go Caedmon! :)