Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Today has been one of "those" days. You know, the days you feel more like Eeyore than Tigger. The days where, as hard as you may try, you cannot get two positive thoughts formulated in your brain and thus it's probably better if you remain quiet. Yeah, one of those days.

Maybe it's the set-in rain and gray skies.

Maybe it's reading all of the articles about Steve Jobs.

Maybe it's the fact that there were 3 people killed & 7 more wounded yesterday just a few miles from our home, and the killer is still at large.

Maybe it's because potty training is not going so well.

Maybe it's because I've had to use more carpet cleaner in the last 48 hours than I think should be necessary.

Maybe it's because I attempted to buy the boys some fall clothes since they have both outgrown their entire wardrobe from last year (shocker), and I left with 2 pants and 2 shirts for both boys and a receipt that blew my mind. From Kohl's of all places! And I realize that doing laundry every 2 days all winter long is not reasonable.

Or maybe it's because I've been seeing things the past few days that remind me that Sammy and I still have a ways to go when it comes to this whole attachment thing.

I don't know. But "those" days are no fun at all. 

On days like this, there are 2 things that I know to do:
  1. Fill my mind with truth. This morning I got out some index cards and jotted down a few key Bible verses to remind myself of. I may not feel it, but I believe it, so I'm going to train my mind to think it and I will choose to respond in accordance with it.
  2. Do the next thing. On days when even the most menial task seems insurmountable, you just have to tell yourself to do the next thing...whatever that may be. Don't get caught up in everything that needs to get done and the fact that you don't want to do any of them. Just focus on doing the next one. I love this old poem that I first came across in an Elisabeth Elliot book. The author is unknown.

From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “DOE THE NEXTE THYNGE.”

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Thrust them with Jesus, doe the nexte thynge.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, doe the nexte thynge

Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, doe the nexte thynge.
--Anonymous

No comments: