Monday, October 10, 2011

Trapped?

Do you ever feel trapped?

Trapped in a job? Trapped in a relationship? Trapped in a season of life?

Last Thursday I wrote about my not-so-good day. Truth be told, it was kinda a not-so-good week. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary or horrible happened, I just lost my rhythm and emotions piled up. I started feeling trapped.

Trapped by the amount of work that is required just to maintain status quo in my life (laundry, meal preparation, finances, caring for daily needs of children, etc...). Trapped by the limited amount of "alone time" I get (to get a haircut, do office work, go shopping for clothes for me, etc...). Trapped by the reality that we are working within a budget that has limits which are often tighter than desires.

It's so strange to me how some weeks I feel great about life. I feel (somewhat) organized and on top of things. I feel motivated and encouraged by the things I'm able to get accomplished. I enjoy the calling of being a stay-at-home mom and even feel a little guilty about how relaxing it is to take the boys to the pool or the playground for an afternoon while I chat with friends. The sky is blue. The flowers are in bloom. And I'm doing alright.

Then, for whatever reason, my perspective on life takes a nose dive and I loose all sense of gratitude and joy and contentment. Instead of singing and whistling throughout the day I hear myself barking at my kids. Instead of entering His courts with thanksgiving, I sulk in with gripes, complaints, and "poor-me's". And, even in the midst of it, I know my perspective is way off and I'm fairly disgusted with myself, but I just can't shake it.

Ever been there?

Yesterday at South Bay we sang a song that says, "Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty" (which comes from 2 Corinthians 3:17). I was meditating on that phrase while we sang and I felt the Lord say to me, "My Spirit brings freedom when you are feeling trapped."

Ahhh, the perspective changer... My circumstance need not change. You don't (necessarily) need to quit your job or get out of that relationship that you feel trapped in. The Spirit of the Lord can bring freedom to your heart no matter what your circumstances.

I started thinking about the various stories I've heard of girls literally trapped in human trafficking. There was one story I read about of a girl who was being abused by up to 10 men A DAY. She would write prayers and Bible verses on the wall in her room to remind herself that God is with her and gives freedom to her soul, something those men could never take away.

There is freedom for your soul in whatever circumstance you are "trapped" in. Invite Jesus to show you His presence and His perspective. He is there with you, and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty!

No comments: