Monday, August 29, 2011

Getting It Done: My List

A couple weeks ago I shared with you (part of) my "I JUST DON'T DO THAT" list. It's actually quite long, but I thought 10 was a good even number to share. I could have also included things like "I don't clean my car" and "I don't serve creative lunches to my children" but, I mean, really? Who needs to know that?

Today I thought I'd share with you the things that make it to the top of my priority list on a day-to-day basis. My list is very small, fluctuating between 1-4 items. The crazier my season of life, the fewer things get to be on my GET IT DONE list. For example, when we brought Sammy home from Ethiopia my list had about 1 or 2 things on it.

So,without further adieu, here is my list in the order that they normally get accomplished:
  1. Work out
  2. Shower
  3. Time Alone with God
  4. Write a blog post

It's pretty noble, huh? Nothing like setting high expectations for yourself! If I get all 4 of those things done in a single day, I feel HUGELY successful. (You'd be amazed by how few days that actually happens.)

Next Monday I'll write a post explaining why those 4 things are important to me and what my system is for getting them done. Overall, the reason I prioritize those things is because they are areas of my life that I value but are, unfortunately, the easiest to get neglected. Life will happen, filling up every second of your day. And if you don't intentionally prioritize the things in your life that you value the most, they will likely get overlooked.

There are seasons when the list has to shrink...having a baby, starting a new job, moving, etc... Any major life transition requires adjusting to a new normal. Those are the seasons that we have to give ourselves lots of grace. I didn't work out for FOUR MONTHS when we brought Sammy home. I wasn't sure that I'd ever get it back together and I felt pretty rotten about myself. But after the storm settled, I found my rhythm again.

When my list has to shrink, the first things to go are working out and/or blogging. I really try to prioritize my time with God even in the midst of craziness because I know that's what keeps me grounded and gives me proper perspective on life. There was more than one day when we first brought Sammy home that I didn't get a shower, but by-golly I was going to read my Bible! (Please don't take that statement to mean that I never miss a quiet time. I absolutely do, but I never drop it for a full season.)

You may think it's strange that Andy and the boys didn't make my priority list. I'll explain that next Monday!

What makes it on your GET IT DONE list?

1 comment:

Gennie said...

I really enjoy the way you look at things and the way you make me look at things.
Bayahni was going through something similar with her sleep. I got the book "the no cry sleep solution for toddlers" It has helped immensely, and if you would like I could get it to you to look at.