Monday, August 15, 2011

Getting It Done: Myth #1

Do you ever feel like you just can't get it all done? If so, you are in good company (with pretty much every single person on the rest of the planet!). I believe this feeling is magnified in moms with young kids. Moms wear a thousand different hats throughout the course of a day and often feel like we can never excel or do a good job at any one thing. Something is always neglected. We are always behind somewhere.

So, I have decided to write a series of blogs (check back each Monday) entitled "Getting it Done". Why? Because I've pretty much figured it out and I tend to get everything done. (Insert ridiculous laughter here.) No, no, no, no, no. These posts will likely offer no new information, but will hopefully be a good reminder to all of us, including me!

Myth #1 about Getting It Done: 
It is possible to get it all done.

I love to think of myself as some sort of super-hero, with extraordinary strength, stamina, and fluidity with multitasking. I love to trick myself into believing that it really is possible to get through my entire "to-do list" in one day. And maybe I could before having the Littles, but priorities have changed and often the "to-do list" takes a back seat to playdough.

To remind myself of this I had to get really clear about the things that are most important for me to get done. I also have to be very clear about the things that I JUST DON'T DO. That second list is probably even more important than the former. 

Here are a few things that I would love to do, but I've had to let go of:
  1. I don't scrapbook. I absolutely love to look at other people's scrapbooks and wish that I had those for our family. But it's just one of those things I had to let go of. I try to get all my photos for the year in a very simple digital scrapbook...but I'm over a year behind even with that!
  2. I don't bake or cook extravagant meals. I cook at home for our family most nights, but it's fairly simple. Baking only happens for guests or special occasions.
  3. I don't clean my house every week. It is a rare occasion that we go to bed without the house being completely straightened, but you could write your name in the dust on our entertainment center. I'll post more on this later.
  4. I'm not committed to returning emails in a timely manner. This is annoying to so many people, I know. But I get very limited amounts of computer time a day and, honestly, I'd rather write a blog than return email. 
  5. I don't sew or do anything crafty. Nothing. At all. 
  6. I don't coupon. I feel quite guilty about this at times and have attempted it on a few occasions, but I just do not have it in me. At least not right now. I just buy the store name brand and tell myself that that's my way of saving money.
  7. I don't iron. I only iron once a week on Saturday nights the clothes that Andy & I will wear to church the next day. I consider it part of my volunteer role for South Bay Church: iron pastor's clothes. Other than that, you're on your own!
  8. I don't garden. There's not even a living plant in my house.
  9. I don't do thrift stores, garage sales, or farmer's markets. Great bargains, I know. But it's a time thing for me.
  10. I don't go camping. Maybe this will change one day, but it's going to take some convincing. A hotel with a bed, clean bathroom, and a pool sounds much better to me.
 A "Stop-Doing List" can be so much more helpful than a "To-Do List". Let the fantasy go that you can do it all and decide the things that you are willing to put aside, at least for this season. And throw the guilt out with it.

I would love to hear some things that YOU JUST DON'T DO. Leave a comment to let me know!

3 comments:

Gennie said...

I wish I could give you a huge hug right now! I thought that I was the only one that did any of those. I look at everyone's family and see how perfect they are, at least from the outside, and wish that I could do everything that they do. I appreciate the glimpse of reality that I am not alone in this and that it's okay to not do some of those things.

Danabeth said...

Well said! Tears in my eyes. So many women think they are the only ones who can't get it done! Wrong! No one can. It is good to make that known. Thanks for posting!

Mary Lu said...

I also don’t scrapbook. You actually introduced me to the wonderful world of digital scrapbooking! I do one a year for each of the. Major time saver- as opposed to hand crafting. I make an effort to update them every summer and Christmas break when I am off of work. As for family photos www.blogtoprint.com allows me to turn my already existing blog into a book, which I simple just order after the new year.
I do not face book, twitter or play words with friends. I’ve seen the drama and the countless hours people spend on those social networking sites…I’d rather blog.
I do not wash my husband’s clothes. Yup, that’s right. He washes his own. I figure I cover myself and two little guys he can manage himself. Unless its summer, winter break or spring break, Chris Jokisch is flying solo in the laundry department.