Thursday, July 19, 2012

What's on the nightstand?

Lately, I seem to be accumulating books on my nightstand. I usually limit myself to 2 or 3 books at a time (a marriage book, a parenting book, and something else). But I have started 6 and have 2 more just sitting there tempting me.

Here's a peak:


1. Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas- My current favorite book. I'm almost done with it but I'm kinda dragging my feet because I don't want it to end. It's a biography of the life of William Wilberforce who want the key figure in abolishing England's slave trade. I love biographies. The book is inspiring, well written, and fascinating. I'll write a more thorough review later. (Eric Metaxas also wrote Bonhoeffer which is another awesome read. It's long and takes a bit of commitment, but it is so worth it!)

2. The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper- Andy picked this book up while we were on vacation and I've been reading it since he's done. It has 20 "rules" that Bob teaches about nutrition and weight loss. It's a super easy read because the chapters are 3-5 pages each. It is practical and informative if you are trying to lose weight or just learn about nutrition. There are also some menu guides and recipes in the back.

3. Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas- Haven't started this one yet because I just got it as a gift in the mail this week. But I know I'm going to love it because Gary Thomas also wrote Sacred Marriage and Sacred Parenting, which had a huge impact on me. Sacred Influence is about how God uses wives to shape the souls of their husbands. I can't wait to dive in!

4. Moms Who Changed the World by Lindsey O'Connor- A friend is letting me borrow this book. This book takes 9 different people who were world changers (i.e. John Wesley, Amy Carmichael, Augustine, etc...) and looks at their mother's influence on their lives. It's a really interesting perspective and gives value to the "behind the scenes" work of motherhood.

5. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic- If you have young kids and you don't have this book, stop reading this blog immediately and order it for yourself as a gift! This book is funny and insightful. It breathes a breath of fresh air on motherhood, and don't we all need that from time to time?! The chapters are all 2-3 pages so even busy moms can find a few seconds to read it. You will be encouraged!

6. The Well Behaved Child by John Rosemond- I started this book but haven't made a lot of headway on it yet. To be honest, the author's tone is a little harsh for me. In my mind I think I agree with what he's saying, but he just says it in kinda an offensive way. It's a book about effective discipline instead of all these mamby-pamby psycho-babble methods that are currently floating around. I'm going to give the book another try because my sister says there are some really good ideas/methods in there. I'm just going to need to wear a face mask when I read it. :-)

7. Platform by Michael Hyatt- Haven't started this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Michael Hyatt has a hugely successful blog and was the CEO for Thomas Nelson publishing house for 8 years. This book is about how to get your voice heard. It's "a step-by-step guide for anyone with something to say or sell."

8. Real Marriage by Mark & Grace Driscoll- Andy & I originally got this book to read together and discuss. We thought we'd shoot for one chapter a week. Well, that was about 7 months ago and we are yet to discuss it! :-) But, hey, it's been a crazy 7 months! I love Mark Driscoll and have really enjoyed the first 5 chapters of this authentic look at biblical marriage.


ALSO

1- A past journal- I'm reviewing some stuff for an upcoming message. (Don't tell anyone, but I'm teaching at South Bay on August 12.)
2- My "thankful" journal- I try to write things that I'm thankful for in here at least once a week.
3- Current journal
4- Bible- this is my priority read. :-)

Now, if I could just have a few days of uninterrupted time by a beautiful body of water, I'm sure I could knock some of these books out. Nevermind, I guess I just settle for 5 minutes before bed!

No comments: