Thursday, October 25, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

I apologize for giving you the silent treatment this week. Every day I've sat down to write, and every day nothing comes. Just staring at a blank screen waiting for inspiration.

I don't really have any inspiration right now, either, but I thought I could at least pass on a yummy recipe for Butternut Squash Soup from this website. I made some this morning and it is oh so good!

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
1/2 t. chopped fresh thyme (I used dry thyme b/c I didn't have fresh)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. black pepper

Directions:
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully puree in batches in a traditional blender.

Definitely, the trickiest part of this recipe (at least for me) is prepping the butternut squash. Those things are incredibly difficult to peel / cube. I've only done it twice and both times have ended up in a dead sweat and almost gotten into a fist fight with the squash! But, it's really yummy and taste like Fall! They do sell butternut squash already cubed so you could forego that step. I've never used it so you probably just want to check the label to see if there are any unwanted preservatives being used.

In other news, Andy is coming home today!! On an airplane right now. And tonight is Date Night so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Alrighty, well I think that's all I've got for this Thursday. Have a great weekend. We're celebrating Sammy's bday this weekend so stay tuned for pictures from our adventures as well as a birthday letter to him. Love that kid!

No comments: