Monday, October 8, 2012

Kisses From Katie

I'm reading Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis right now and I CANNOT put it down. I'm talking reading while brushing my teeth, reading while I'm supposed to be watching my kids at the playground, reading while I sit on the couch during family movie night, even flashlight-in-my-teeth reading while Andy is asleep. Needless to say, it's a good book.

It's my favorite kind of book. I love stories about people who have said a wholehearted, "YES!" to God. I feel so challenged and inspired by her story, and every time I read it I get a healthy dose of perspective.

If you're not familiar with the story, when Katie was 17 she went on a short-term mission trip to Uganda for the first time. When she was 18, she went back for a year long commitment which has turned into a lifelong commitment. By the time she was 22 years old, she had started a sponsorship program to provide education, food, and medical care for over 400 children AND adopted 14 (FOURTEEN!) little girls.

Here's a few excerpts from her book:

"I no longer have all the things the world says are important. I do not have a retirement fund; I do not even have electricity some days. But I have everything I know is important. I have a joy and a peace that are unimaginable and can come only from a place better than this earth. I cannot fathom being happier. Jesus wrecked my life, shattered it to pieces, and put it back together more beautifully...

...I have learned that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. I can, however, change the world for one person...

...I can do only what one woman can do, but I will do what I can."

She challenges me to evaluate if I am doing what I can. Am I loving who God puts in front of me each day? Am I trying to meet the needs of which I am aware? Am I stuck living my life in safety, comfort, and convenience instead of radical generosity, courage, and obedience?

Katie says, "When I imagine God creating each one of us and planting a purpose deep in our hearts, I never imagine that purpose being mediocrity."

I want my life to be one of full-surrender. There is no limit to what God can do through the life of one person who will unreservedly say "YES!" to Him!

Check out her awesome ministry called Amazima and maybe even sponsor a child today!

No comments: