Sunday, October 12, 2008

Why I love my job...

Because I am a stay-at-home mom, some people may say that I don't work. I would have to disagree and would invite anyone who would make that assessment of my life to join me for a day of being a mom. I think after one day they would agree with me that stay-at-home moms definitely do work! (Can I get an "Amen" from all the stay-at-home moms out there?!)
But, I've gotta say, I love what I do! Caedmon is at a wonderfully fun stage and is on a great schedule, so this is probably the easiest season of "mommy-hood" that I have experienced. I think it is super-important for moms to be focused on their families, putting their most creative energy toward making their home a place that is honoring to God. At the same time, I think it is crucial for moms to model for their kids a life lived intentionally and on-purpose. Combining the two of those can be tricky and require a lot of creativity and teamwork from both parents, but it can be done (and should be a top priority).
Right now, I am having a blast combining those two elements. Because we are in the process of starting the church, one of the most important things for me to focus on is building a lot of relationships. Caedmon is helping me so much to accomplish that goal. Almost every day of the week you'll find us outside playing with other kids and their moms. Yesterday our team hosted a neighborhood cookout that over 50 people came to. The kids played while the parents talked. It was so natural, so easy, so fun! Earlier this week another young mom and I ate lunch together after the play group that we went to. It has been so fulfilling to me to get to focus so much energy on building friendships and getting involved in people's lives.
Balancing ministry and motherhood can be a struggle. I don't ever want to get so busy ministering to other people that I neglect the needs of my own family. The great joy about this season is that I am able to accomplish both goals without having to compromise one or the other!

1 comment:

Cristine said...

AMEN! I think mommyhood is the best job ever!