My favorite meal of the day during this P90X nutrition plan is definitely breakfast. The recipe below is for Pear and Granola Muffins, which are really yummy but a little denser than a regular muffin. More the texture of a cookie or bread than a muffin. But good, none the less.
Pear and Granola Muffins
3/4 cup canned pear nectar
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup low-fat granola
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups pear, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together first five ingredients in large bowl to blend.
3. Stir both flours ad sugar in medium bowl until no sugar lumps remain.
4. Mix in granola, baking powder, nuteg, and salt. Add pear; toss to coat. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until blended (batter will be thick). Divide among 10 prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake until golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean (about 20 minutes). Transfer muffins to rack and cool.
Unfortunately you're only supposed to eat 1 muffin (whereas I would normally eat 3). But you also get to eat 8 oz. of nonfat yogurt and 1 cup of sliced strawberries.
Before P90X I had gotten into a bad habit of just eating a bowl of cereal each morning. I like cereal A LOT and it's so easy. But this nutrition plan has really forced me to mix it up and it's given me some good ideas about healthy options for breakfast. Hope you enjoy the muffins!!