Monday, January 17, 2011

Daniel Fast Update

Today is Day 8 of our 21 day Daniel Fast. How's everyone doing out there? The first two days I always feel pretty crummy with a detox headache, but after that I feel really great! For Andy & me, this is our 3rd or 4th time to do a Daniel Fast and I must say that the food thing gets much easier each time. Our first fast we virtually ate nothing but salads and a few varieties of soup for 40 days. It got old, for sure.

Here's what's been on the menu at the Wood household:

Breakfasts
  • Oatmeal with soy milk and fruit
  • Smoothie
Lunches
  • Salads
  • Rice cakes with organic peanut butter, bananas, and honey
  • Soups and left overs from dinner
Dinners
 Snacks
  • Lots of fruit (I love little clementine oranges & pears! Love pears!)
  • Trail mix of nuts & dried fruit
  • Fresh veggies with hummus
  • And my favorite, popcorn! The kind you pop yourself in a pan. Get a large skillet with a lid. Heat over high heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one kernel of popcorn. Cover with lid. When that kernel pops, pour 1/3 cup of kernels into the skillet and cover with lid. When popping slows down, remove from heat and pour in a bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt. YUM!!!
Here's a great recipe for Lentil Soup...so good that Andy said he'd like to have this even in non-fasting times. I gotta be honest, I didn't even know what a lentil was until a couple years ago when we were doing a Daniel Fast! But, alas, it can be found in the same section with the rice.

Lentil Soup
Susan Gregory (Daniel Fast)

2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 (14½ oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 pound lentils (apprx. 1¼ cups)
2/3 cup pearl barley
11 cups vegetable broth (can substitute water, but not as tasty)
4-6 fresh thyme sprigs

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté until all the vegetables and tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and pearl barley, mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils and barley are tender, about 40 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve.

I always feel the need to emphasize that the purpose of fasting is not to focus MORE on food, but less...To create a hunger in our hearts for Christ. It's okay to be hungry on a Daniel Fast even though you're allowed to eat. Don't feel the need to always run to food every time you feel hunger. Use your hunger as a reminder to pray and ask God to make you more hungry for Him!

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
Psalm 42:1-2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog as I was looking for other resources to help me in my Daniel Fast. Thanks for your honest thoughts and recipes. I have found this blog to be really helpful: www.ultimatedanielfast.com -
blessings,
Woody and Mabel
Grand Rapids, MI

Stacie said...

Woody & Mabel,

Thanks so much for your comment and for this website. Very helpful. I'm going to post it on my blog.

Stacie