Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wellness Wednesday

Tip of the Week: If you can resist it, you probably should.

All of us have foods that are bad for us that we crave and foods that are bad for us that we could live without. For example, I believe that if the opportunity presented itself, I could eat Tuxedo Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory every single night. I also love homemade chocolate chip cookies and virtually any other homemade dessert. However, store bought desserts I can resist. Also, I'm not a huge fan of birthday cake, potato chips, or plain vanilla ice cream.

So, for me, I've decided that I'd rather not waste calories eating things that I could (pretty) easily live without. Sure, I'm still tempted to grab a piece of cake when I go to a kid's birthday party. But then I think, "I'd rather save those calories to indulge in something I really love." Because the reality is, I will probably still indulge in whatever it is I really love regardless of whether or not I chowed down on birthday cake earlier in the week. It's not like I'd make myself sacrifice the cheesecake just because I had a Spiderman cupcake, so it's like I just saved myself 300 meaningless calories to invest in the real deal later!

Probably all I'm doing is tricking my brain into being willing to delay gratification. But, hey, whatever works, right?!?!

No comments: