Saturday, March 13, 2010

Date Night

Date night is the highlight of my week every week. I feel like it is imperative for married couples to continue to "date" each other throughout marriage. Some weeks, it is honestly what keeps me from going insane. If I've had a tough week with Caedmon or if Andy's been super busy, I know I at least get date night...which for me translates into Andy's undivided attention, a good conversation, and a meal that I don't have to cook (even if we get fast food!). 

I know a weekly date night can get super expensive, especially if you have to pay for a babysitter. That's why we switch babysitting with the Santos family. Every Thursday, Andy and I go on a date and the Santos family gets a house full of kids. Every Friday, Andy and I watch the kids while Mandy & Fi enjoy a date. "Babysitting" includes feeding the kids dinner, bathtime, AND bedtime! It is so nice to have one night a week when you don't have to worry about doing those routines with your kiddo while you know they're having fun and being well cared for...FOR FREE! (We're able to put each others kids to sleep b/c we live in the same apartment complex. One parent takes the kid(s) home while the other parent puts their own kid(s) to sleep.)

Here Lily, Caedmon, & Caitlyn are watching a few minutes of 
Aladdin after bathtime to calm down for bed. 

So, I want to encourage all of you with kiddos out there to find a family friend that you can swap off babysitting with. It's good for your finances, good for you marriage, and good for your kids to see their mommy & daddy committed to loving each other!

(Right now we just put Lily, Cailyn, & Caedmon in the mix. Baby Efraim will soon be joining the ranks of date night, as well as Flash when he arrives. That means we will have 5 kids 4 and under by the end of the year! One night of chaos for one night of pure bliss. It's so worth it!!)

No comments: