Wednesday, March 17, 2010

He Is My Son

Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba [Daddy], Father."  Galatians 4:6

Nothing would break my heart more than if Flash did not embrace his new identity as a son in our family...if he saw himself as an outsider, a second-rate family member...if he felt he could try as hard as possible but never "win" our love the way Caedmon has...if he noticed the color of our skin more than the love in our hearts...

That would be heart wrenching for me and I would do everything possible to make him see how much we wanted him. We went to great lengths to get him...sacrificed a lot financially all because we wanted him so desperately to be our son. We will love him and treat him exactly the same way we would a biological child. I don't just want to be his Mother. I want to be his Mommy. I want him to feel completely comfortable with me and uninhibited in his ability to give and receive affection. I want him to live as a true son!

God feels the same way about us, which is why Paul was so upset with the way the Galatians were acting. They were living like slaves to God instead of sons to God. Paul was saying to them, "Guys, you've missed the WHOLE POINT!" God had gone to great lengths to provide a way for them to be His sons...God had sacrificed His Son so that we could be sons and daughters. And not just children who speak to Him formally with a detached sort of relationship. But like Caedmon with Andy. Caedmon feels the freedom to run to Andy any time, day or night, calling, "Daddy! Daddy!" He jumps in his arms and is completely uninhibited in his willingness to express whatever is on his heart.

That is the way God loves us. We are not slaves. We are not second-rate family members. We are sons and daughters. It's time we accept it and start living like it!

Because you are sons [and daughters], God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba [Daddy], Father."   Galatians 4:6

1 comment:

Janelle said...

THANK YOU for sharing this! I am praying for you and so grateful you're in my life.