Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gripes Be Gone!

If you notice me wearing a rubberband on my wrist these days, it is not an accidental wardrobe flaw. It is quite intentional. I'm calling it my "Gripes Be Gone" bracelet.

A couple girlfriends and I are reading a book together entitled "What's It Like to Be Married to Me?". I'm only on chapter 2, but so far it has been very challenging and inspiring.

The second chapter of the book focuses on a wife's tendency to nag, gripe, and complain. Check out this amazing quote:

A few years ago, Jody [the author's husband] and I were involved in a project surveying five hundred Christian couples. The husbands were asked, "What is the one thing you would most like to have in a wife?" Surprisingly, the majority answered, "A positive attitude about life."
That quote floored me! The number one trait desired: a pleasant, happy-hearted woman! Not beauty, not sex. Just put on a freakin' smile and quit complaining about every little thing! Wow. (And, maybe, ouch.)

The author, Linda Dillow, suggests for wives to wear some type of bracelet as a reminder to never let a complaint slip from their lips. Every time you catch yourself being negative, complaining, or grumbling (even under your breath) you have to switch the bracelet to the other arm. It creates a conscious awareness of the words that come out of your mouth and your desire to control them.

I've been wearing my rubberband for 5 days now and Andy has joined me in this little experiment. I am SO much more aware of what I am saying and I find myself spinning a gripe into a positive statement. For example, instead of saying, "It's so hot!" I said, "This is perfect swimming weather!" It is making a difference in my attitude as well as my husband's and children's.

The visual reminder of the bracelet keeps my mind fresh and alert throughout the day. So, I would love for some of you to join me in our effort to kick griping to the curb. Grab a rubberband and let me know if you're in!

No comments: