Friday, September 5, 2008

In Honor of Jonathan James, May 22, 2008


Jonathan James (aka JJ) is my 2 year old nephew. He has big blue eyes, curly blond hair, and a tummy so big he has to lift it up to find his belly button! He is also the most verbal 25 month old child you'll ever meet! He brings me such joy and I am so thankful for any time I get to spend with him since we live so far away from each other.

This past week he and his mom/my sister, Stephanie, were in Columbia, SC visiting our parents. Andy, Caedmon and I are also here in Columbia so we were able to spend a lot of "sister-time" together! Funny how different sister-time looks now than it did in our previous lives B.K. (before kids). Instead of jamming to our favorite music you'll find us singing along to Boz, the big green bear. Instead of lunch at a quaint delicatessen you'll find us serving up grilled cheese sandwiches cut into bite size pieces. Trips to the park have replaced trips to the mall. And laying out on a raft in our parents' pool has been replaced by refereeing two toddlers in a kiddie pool from Walmart! But we wouldn't trade it for the world! Our boys are our joy (ok, well at least most of the time!)

On Tuesday morning I dropped off Stephanie and JJ at the airport only to receive a phone call from her 30 minutes later. I immediately thought she missed her flight or something was wrong. But when I answered the phone she said, "Stacie, I have got to tell you what JJ just said!"
She proceeded to explain that as they were at the ticket counter checking in their baggage, JJ (the ever-talkative two year old) was making friends with the airline employees behind the desks. Always one to love an audience, JJ begins pointing out his body parts. He pulls up his shirt and says, "This is my belly button. Do you see my belly button?" All of the employees, as well as those standing in line, were acknowledging his belly button when, uh-oh, JJ looked a little further down. He announced in a loud clear voice, "My penis is in my pants. It's hiding!"
Stephanie was mortified but everyone else in ear shot thought it was hilarious. Energized by all of the laughter that he received, JJ continued to repeat himself over and over until Stephanie was able to let him know that it is not appropriate to talk about certain body parts in public. Oh, the joys of motherhood!

No comments: